2012 saw Reading United A.C. continue to build upon our tradition of excellence. The successful 2012 campaign saw Reading playing in the U.S. Open Cup for a record tying 4th consecutive season, qualify for the Premier Development League Playoffs for a 5th straight year and heard the names of three of our alumni selected in the 2012 Major League Soccer SuperDraft.
Here’s a look back at our Best XI Moments from an unforgettable 2012.
1. In the Premier Development League’s Eastern Conference Divisional Round, United midfielder Dante Marini scored a dramatic 119th minute match winning goal vs. Jersey Express that earned Reading a trip to the Eastern Conference Championships.
2. Reading United tie a US Amateur record with its 4th consecutive US Open Cup berth and win its first US Cup match with a 1-0 victory over New York Greek-American Atlas.
3. Down to 10 men after team captain Stephen Okai was ejected in the 31st minute, Reading United used second half goals from Steve Neumann and Paul Wyatt to defeat division leaders Ocean City Nor’Easters by a 2-0 scoreline. The victory secured a PDL playoff spot for Reading in the final home match of the regular season.
4. United alums Andrew Wenger, Matt Hedges and Raymon Gaddis are selected in the 2012 Major League Soccer SuperDraft. Wenger was selected as the first overall pick by expansion club Montreal Impact. Hedges was taken by FC Dallas with the 11th overall selection, while Gaddis chosen by the Philadelphia Union with the 35th overall selection.
5. Paul Wyatt scores the opening goal vs. the New Jersey Rangers 45 seconds into Reading United’s inaugural match at Albright College’s Shirk Stadium.
6. Deshorn Brown was the PDL’s leading goal scorer and was named to the PDL’s All Eastern Conference team along with Stephen Okai and Greg Cochrane.
7. United earns its 5th straight trip to the PDL playoffs, beating the Jersey Express in a Divisional Round match before narrowly falling to the National Finalists, Carolina Dynamo in a penalty kick shootout in the Eastern Conference Championships.
8. C.J. Sapong, a member of Reading’s 2010 team, became United’s first former player to earn a cap with the US Men’s National Team.
9. David Rodriguez’s scores on a powerful headed goal in stoppage time vs. Central Jersey to earn Reading United a home playoff match.
10. Reading United hosts United Kicks Cancer Night and helps to raise $1000 for the American Cancer Society through a game worn jersey auction.
11. Steven Olexy, a 4th grader from West Reading, Pennsylvania, was named the 2012 Reading United Fan of the Year. Steven was a fixture at home games, enthusiastically cheering United on to victory.